Sunday, July 5, 2009

Internship

Hi everyone,

I'm so sorry, I've been neglectful of my blog and haven't written in a week even though a lot has happened. The most exciting news: I got the internship! For the rest of the month of July, I'll be working there on and off as needed and some from home because they have their summer interns until August and don't have enough space for me right now. In August, I'll start working close to full time. Its unpaid, but at least it should give me some experience working in my field and help me find a full-time job. They wanted me to make a three-month commitment, and I figure it will take that long for me to find a full-time job anyways, so I said that I should be able to commit to that, but I couldn't promise any longer. Hopefully it will work out well. Tomorrow I'm supposed to go in for the day to kind of learn my way around and help them prepare for their conference at the end of the month, so it will be my first official day of work. I'm kind of nervous - I hope it works out well and that I end up liking the job. I guess even if I don't, it's only three months.

Other than that, I had a really fun Fourth of July weekend. Aunt Andi, Uncle Mike, Becca and I went canoeing down the Shenandoah River yesterday, which was a lot of fun. Aunt Andi and Uncle Mike used their kayaks and Becca and I rented a canoe. The stretch of the river that we did was about 7 miles long, and we stopped for lunch and a swimming break in the middle because it got pretty hot. My shoulders and arms are pretty sore from the rowing workout, but we had a good time. Afterwards, we all went back to Aunt Andi's and had a wonderful dinner of buffalo burgers stuffed with portobello mushrooms and onions and wrapped in bacon, baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw, and some berry shortcake that Becca and I made. It was absolutely delicious.

On July 15th, my friend Mike Berrios is coming to DC to visit me and go to a Federal Government job fair that Becca and I are also planning on attending. A lot of big federal agencies, like the State Department, Department of Defense, National Security Agency, Department of Homeland Security, etc., are coming and I hope that it'll be a good opportunity to meet with the agencies and makee some contacts...maybe even get a job (hopefully!). I'm excited to see Mike too, it'll be nice to see somebody from home.

Anyways, I've gotta go look at a couple of things before work tomorrow, so I'll write more later. I promise to start updating this more regularly.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment